The Shocking “FACTS” About Domestic Abuse*
- Approximately 95% of the victims of domestic violence are women.
- Every 9 seconds in the United States a woman is assaulted and beaten.
- 4,000,000 women a year are assaulted by their partners.
- In the United States, a woman is more likely to be assaulted, injured, raped, or killed by a male partner than by any other type of assailant.
- Every day, 4 or more women are murdered by boyfriends or husbands.
- Prison terms for killing husbands are twice as long as for killing wives.
- 93% of women who killed their mates had been battered by them. 67% killed them to protect themselves and their children at the moment of murder.
- 25% of all crime is wife assault.
- 70% of men who batter their partners either sexually or physically abuse their children.
- Domestic violence is the number one cause of emergency room visits by women.
- 73% of battered women seeking emergency medical services have already separated from the abuser.
- Women are most likely to be killed when attempting to leave the abuser. In fact, they’re at a 75% higher risk than those who stay.
- The number-one cause of women’s injuries is abuse at home. This abuse happens more often than car accidents, mugging, and rape combined.
- Up to 37% of all women experience battering.
- 60% of all battered women are beaten while they are pregnant. One study found that 37% of pregnant women, across all class, race, and educational lines, were physically abused during pregnancy.
- 34% of the female homicide victims over age 15 are killed by their husbands, ex-husbands, or boyfriends.
- 2/3 of all marriages will experience domestic violence at least once.
- Weapons are used in 30% of domestic violence incidents.
- Approximately 1,155,600 adult American women have been victims of one or more forcible rapes by their husbands.
- Over 90% of murder-suicides involving couples are perpetrated by the man. 19-26% of male spouse-murderers committed suicide.
- When only spouse abuse was considered, divorced or separated men committed 79% of the assaults and husbands committed 21%.
- Abusive husbands and lovers harass 74% of employed battered women at work, either in person or over the telephone, causing 20% to lose their jobs.
- Physical violence in dating relationships ranges from 20-35%.
- It is estimated that between 20% to 52% of high school and college age dating couples have engaged in physical abuse.
- More than 50% of child abductions result from domestic violence.
- Injuries that battered women receive are at least as serious as injuries suffered in 90% of violent felony crimes.
- Only 17 states keep data on reported domestic violence offenses. These reports are limited to murder, rape, robbery, and serious bodily injury.
- More than half of battered women stay with their batterer because they do not feel that they can support themselves and their children alone.
- In homes where domestic violence occurs, children are abused at a rate 1,500% higher than the national average.
- Up to 64% of hospitalized female psychiatric patients have histories of being physically abused as adults.
- 50% of the homeless women and children in the U.S. are fleeing abuse.
- 51% of Women Are Now Living Without a Spouse.
- Family violence kills as many women every 5 yrs as the total Americans who died in the Vietnam War.
- The amount spent to shelter animals is three times the amount spent to provide emergency shelter to women from domestic abuse situations.
- EVERY WOMAN has been or will be the victim of emotional/mental/psychological abuse sometime in their life which will affect them and their relationships throughout their entire life.
*Department of Justice figures
If you are being abused we urge you to seek Help and Safety
Domestic Violence is one of our country’s most neglected crimes. Please be a part of the solution to these ever increasing statistics. Domestic Violence affects people in every community throughout our country. We need your help in this this critical mission to restore the peace. Donations of any amount/type are always needed and greatly appreciated. We help Americans! We Rescue the Abused, Abandoned and Oppressed; and, We Save Lives. Join Today! Any amount Helps. You can Make a difference! Donate Now
Copyright ©2017 Peace Foundations.org, Inc., All Rights Reserved